Thursday, May 3, 2012

"The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime", Mark Haddon: Third One's the Keeper


I believe it was my mother who either got me this book or strongly recommended it.

It is written from the point of view of a young man who has some social issues and his parents crumbling relationship plays instigator to many of his scary experiences in the world. It is a very good book. There are those tragic moments that only you, as the reader, can see, while our troubled narrator can't put it together.

Funny thing though, is that I brought the book with us to Europe. I wanted something to read where I figured I wouldn't be getting to very often. You go to Europe when you're 25 to backpack and adventure, not to sit in cafes and read.

Well, I finished it while we waited for the ferry from England to Hoek van Holland, on our third day of the trip. It was a very long wait for the ferry, but still. The missus had her own book, and I like sharing, so I gave my copy to our friend Tami Love who was living in Munich and with whom we visited. She and I had met many years before working as tutors in the Mathlab at a community college I attended for a short time. English language books aren't exactly nowhere to be seen in Munich, but good complex literary fiction is a little harder to just run across.

So as the years go by, I bought another copy while we were living in Brooklyn. That's the copy that the missus read, and I eventually loaned gave it out as well, to my cousin, a young lady visiting us from college in Seattle.

The copy I have now, the copy that's pictured, is one I purchased for a dollar or two from an Amazon.com gift card, just to make our collection complete.

I recommend it. You need to borrow a copy?

No comments:

Post a Comment