Thursday, June 7, 2012

Shakespeare and Poe: Necessary Library Staples


These two works, the complete Works of Shakespeare, and the complete works of Eddie Poe of Baltimore, are two things that when I was younger I figured any self-respecting library would have to have.

Is that still the case? Or, rather the question might be, do I still feel that way? Uh, sure. I've dragged these two volumes with me everywhere since leaving Sacramento in the summer of 2000. The Shakespeare book was my dad's, I'm fairly certain, and I snatched it up when I was ready to move back to San Luis. Those books, "the complete Shakespeare", tend to be affordable and easily found in either used book stores or in new volumes at discounted prices at major chain stores...


...Which is how I acquired the Poe volume. I try not to do that anymore, really, buying copies of classic books from big-box-bookstores that have printed the classics themselves--that's really a double whammy attack on the publishing industry: paying big-box booksellers besides indie bookstores as well as not paying a separate publishing house.

In the Poe volume I've read "The Maelstrom" and "The Tell Tale Heart". In the Shakespeare collection I don't think I've read any of the selections. I've used sonnets before for projects, and read a smattering of plays for pleasure and school--"The Merchant of Venice", "Othello", "Hamlet", "A Midsummer Night's Dream", but never from this volume. I used to have a Shakespeare'S Sonnets book, and had other items for each of the plays I read.

It was still important for me to stock both of these books.

No comments:

Post a Comment