Tuesday, April 24, 2012

"Without Feathers", Woody Allen: "...except for that nervous fella..."


The quote I used for the title of this post is a line spoken by Flanders in an episode of The Simpsons, where a dinner party that goes wrong has the Van Houten's dirty laundry getting aired and Luann announcing she wants a divorce. Ned Flanders answers Marge's question, "Has anyone seen the new Woodsy Allen movie?" that he likes those films, "except for that nervous fella that's always in them."

I was on a plane and was given a set of headphones--no purchasing, sweet--and kept them, leaving them in my bag that I always use for carry-on since then, and used them once on another flight. There was no show on, but there were other channels of things to listen to, and one had the comedic styles of Woody Allen. It was a record of one of his comedy shows, and it was absolutely hilarious. It was from early on in his career, like a joke from one of his earliest films:

Allen's character: "I'm working now, yeah, dressing the strippers. 20 francs a week."
Peter O'Toole's character: "That's not very much."
Allen: "That's all I could afford."

I haven't had a chance to read this book...I just bought it, a few months ago at the aforementioned Dollar Book Store. A quote from Emily Dickinson three sheets inside the front cover refers to the title: "Hope is the thing with weathers..."

I've read Woody Allen's work in The New Yorker, which is generally funny, and when I saw this book, I decided to spend one of the four singles I had on my at the time. It's on the list for being read, among other books.

No comments:

Post a Comment