Tuesday, April 17, 2012

"Charity", Mark Richard: Professor Recommended


In my senior year of college I had one particular quarter, my last quarter as an undergrad, where I had two writing classes that I took credit/no credit, which is the equivalent of taking classes that won't hurt your grades. They won't help your grades either, but they certainly won't hurt them. During this quarter I had an easy math class, my senior project class (one unit weekly meeting with my adviser about my project), and those two writing classes. They were four classes that I was mostly invested in.

I remember that last quarter being a blur of bike riding and trying to focus on my project. Those writing classes were informative and exciting, and the prose professor had a list of writers we should check out. This is the same professor that is a friend of Denis Johnson and brought him to our class, so we were inclined to believe him.

This collection of short stories has a few in particular that are written in a style that's maybe more befitting Shakespearean knockoffs. The most well known story, or at least the one seems to show up in college class anthologies, is "The Birds for Christmas", a tale about orphans and a clandestine plan to watch Hitchcock's classic film on Christmas. My favorite story is probably "Tunga Tuggo, Lingua Dingua".

I bought this copy online for a price that was more shipping than cost, and I've read different stories over and over, like "Blue is Blue" and my aforementioned favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment