Tuesday, April 10, 2012

"Zodiac", Graysmith: In the Library for Years


This copy of Zodiac, about the notorious San Francisco (and environs) serial killer, was found by me at our family's cabin near the volcanic Mt Lassen. I thought it looked interesting, and borrowed it. This was probably twenty years ago, maybe seventeen. I didn't get into it until I trucked it all the way to New York, and the movie was coming out.

The corner rip occurred as I tried to put it in my back pocket for a subway ride. I carried around other books in this fashion, but far less than I did copied of the New Yorker or Daily News. Oh how I hated to be on the train without any reading material.

Once you get past the opening scene of the Berryessa killings, twenty pages about the temperature and the clothing being worn and the clouds in the sky and eventually the gruesome details, and you get the idea that the driving thrust of the narrative is a police file (it was). The book does open up into an entertaining dive into the gritty side of police work.

The one thing I remember taking from the book was just how many sadistic molester/possible murderers there were in the Bay Area at the time. How many are around now? (Shudder)

I will be replacing it sometime soon, and I send my apologies to those who might've missed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment